Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Blog Introduction

My name is Karim Kazemi. This is my blog about the geography of New Mexico.

Ram's Head With Hollyhock by Georgia O'Keefe, set against the Sandia Mountains 

I've picked New Mexico to use as my geographical location for this blog. New Mexico is a pretty important place to me. It's where my mom is from, where my parents met, where I was born (and maybe conceived...?), and it's where a lot of my ancestors laid down roots when they came to America. My dad's family moved there in the 1970's, and my mom is descended from Spanish missionaries who settled around Albuquerque in the 1700s. Aside from being where my a lot of my family lives, it's also one of my favorite places to travel around/explore. I have some pretty specific tastes when it comes to what kinds of weather/climates I find enjoyable (I can't stand humidity, overly cold winters, etc), and New Mexico satisfies pretty much all of them. It sounds a little goofy, but I feel an almost "spiritual" connection to the landscapes and open spaces of New Mexico, far more so than those (admittedly beautiful) ones here in Colorado, where I grew up.

Santa Fe at night

New Mexico is home to tons of unique geographical formations and features. Over the course of this semester I hope to gain knowledge of the many processes and geographic systems that have shaped such special and numinous landscapes.

Bandelier Overlook, Bandelier National Monument, Sandoval County, NM

Photo Credits:
http://www.georgiaokeeffe.net/ram-head-with-hollyhock.jsp
http://activerain.trulia.com/blogsview/2239151/starry-night-the-neighborhoods-of-santa-fe--new-mexico--87501
http://www.visitusa.com/newmexico/


No comments:

Post a Comment